How do I get information about bringing the current in order to the stop the trustee’s sale?

This is called reinstating the loan (bringing it current). The law is very specific as to the property owner’s rights and what the trustee must do with regards to accepting payment to cure all the arrears. These rights also apply to all junior lienholders (other lenders secured by your home).

Warning: like so many laws this area of law is constantly changing.  It is your responsibility to confirm the latest version of the law.

There are some very specific steps to follow in order for the lender/servicer to provide the property owner with the exact amount necessary to cure the arrears.

  • First you must contact the lender/servicer/trustee (best to contact all three) in writing and request a reinstatement through and including a specific date when you are sure you will have the money to pay the arrears.
  • The trustee is required by law to respond to your request for a reinstatement (cure of the arrears or payoff – Arizona Revised Statues: 33-803.01). Include a request for them to identify where you should make the payment and what form (e.g. cashier’s check).

  • If you do not receive a response within 72 hours then send another request.
  • Keep sending requests every 3 days until you receive a response with the information that you requested.
  • Keep copies of each demand in case you need them later to prove how difficult the lender/servicer/trustee has been to deal with.
  • If the lender/servicer/trustee does not respond after four or five demands then immediately hire an attorney. You can also file a complaint with the Arizona Department of Financial Institutions. In addition, go to the Arizona Corporation Commission’s web site and find the shareholders for each of these entities. Send each of the shareholders a certified demand for information, along with the copy of the complaint that you have filed. If the Trustee is a lawyer than file a complaint with the State Bar of Arizona. Of course, you can always file a complaint in court to ask a judge to make the lender perform as request.
  • Beware – none of these actions will terminate the trustee’s sale.  Once you receive the accounting compare it with your records. If you have not been keeping copies of payments, then you have no proof that you made any missing payments. Most likely it will be the lender’s word over yours.
  • Do not chance losing your home because you are stubborn and will not pay one or more mortgage payments you are sure you paid, but do not have proof. Immediately make arrangements to pay the full amount. Remember that the longer you wait to pay the more the late charges and other penalties you incur.
  • Again, keep copies of all correspondence, keep diary of the person you talked to, including the date and time of the discussion. Confirm all verbal communications by sending a letter, fax or e-mail detailing your understanding of the agreement.
  • Lastly, if the trustee or the lender is not responding to your requests for payoff or reinstatements, or it doing something “shifty”, then you have a right to file for a temporary restraining order in court.
556 words|2.8 min read|Categories: |By |Published On: August 11th, 2022|Last Updated: March 11th, 2024|

Share this FAQ

Diane is a well respected Arizona bankruptcy and foreclosure attorney. As a retired law professor, she believes in offering everyone, not just her clients, advice about bankruptcy and Arizona foreclosure laws. Diane is also a mentor to hundreds of Arizona attorneys.

*Important Note from Diane: Everything on this web site is offered for educational purposes only and not intended to provide legal advice, nor create an attorney client relationship between you, me, or the author of any article. Information in this web site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from an attorney familiar with your personal circumstances and licensed to practice law in your state. Make sure to check out their reviews.*

Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A., Arizona Bankruptcy Lawyer - Google Reviews
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A., Arizona Bankruptcy Lawyer - Yelp Reviews
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A., Arizona Bankruptcy Lawyer - Avvo Reviews
Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.
View my Martindale-Hubbell Award
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A., Arizona Bankruptcy Lawyer - Alignable Reviews
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A., Arizona Bankruptcy Lawyer - Better Business Bureau

“You folks are the BEST OF THE BEST in Arizona.” M.H.

You and Jay are the best attorneys I have ever had or needed and thank God for the Honorable Robert Gottsfield in recommending you folks – I would have never made it through the entire process without you and Jay and God Bless you both always and stay in touch as well. You folks are the BEST OF THE BEST in Arizona.

“My only regret is that I didn’t find Diane sooner.” K.H.

I can’t say enough good things about Diane. The way she handled my not typical circumstances was amazing. I was very nervous to start the bankruptcy process but Diane just has a very comforting way of explaining the whole process. My only regret is that I didn’t find Diane sooner. If you find yourself in a financial situation that you can’t correct on your own, please Call Diane Drain as soon as possible.

“Filing for bankruptcy can be a stressful life event” R.A.

Filing for bankruptcy can be a stressful life event, and selecting the right attorney can add to this stress. Diane and Jay were a pleasure to work with, and it is obvious that they are passionate about helping people get their life back on track. I would highly recommend them if you need a bankruptcy attorney.

My intention is to put you back in control of your life
Start with $0 down*. We provide affordable payment plans.