Published On: December 28, 2019
Bad, lazy or greedy attorneys fail to warn clients about the problems they could face in bankruptcy.
People in financial distress look to attorneys for help and guidance. They assume their attorneys care more about them than about the attorney’s bank account. There are several basic ethical rules governing attorneys, such as:
- An attorney is ethically required to have the skill and knowledge in order to offer good advice to their clients.
- Attorneys should not accept more clients than they can efficiently and professionally assist. Many law firms that mass-produce bankruptcies treat their clients like cattle – herding them into a holding pen for slaughter, with little regard about the legal consequences to those clients (losing their home, tax refunds, or inheritance, to name a few problems).
- An attorney has an obligation to treat their clients with respect, and
- An attorney it required to honor the rules of the legal system.
- plus many more – see A Lawyer’s Creed of Professionalism
The United States Trustee, the trustees, and their attorneys
What is the United States Trustee Program: Office of the US Trustee The United States Trustee Program is a component of the Justice Department that works to ensure the integrity of the bankruptcy system across the nation.
The duties of United States Trustees include:
- Appointing and supervising the private trustees who collect and disburse funds to creditors in bankruptcy cases under Chapters 7, 12, and 13;
- Assuring compliance with the Bankruptcy Code with respect to information disseminated in cases through reports, schedules, disclosure statements, reorganization plans, and other filings.
- Reviewing fee applications of professionals, like attorneys and accountants, who serve in Chapter 11 business reorganization cases; and
- Monitoring bankruptcy cases for fraud and abuse, and referring criminal matters to U.S. Attorneys for prosecution in accordance with the USTP Mission Statement.
In other words, a primary purpose of the US Trustee’s Office is to police the bankruptcy system. There are guidelines governing chapter 7 trustee behavior (Handbook for Chapter 7 Trustees). As with all humans, some people are more aggressive than others. Some are more focused on personal financial gain then altruistic benefit to society. Therefore, some of the more aggressive chapter 7 bankruptcy trustees and/or their attorney view debtors as walking cash registers (see post – Every client deserves competent advice….) Wonder how much are Arizona chapter 7 trustees and their attorneys paid – see Professional Fee Report.
As the police of the bankruptcy system, the US Trustee’s Office is on the lookout for bad actors, such as bad debtors or bad attorneys. I don’t have any experience about the policing of bad debtors (other than to read articles or cases depicting some outrageous and really stupid behavior). But, unfortunately, I do have experience of with some bad attorneys. Please understand that the legal process is designed to be slow. Typically, there must be repeat offenses in order for the police to pay attention. The same is true when taking action to curb bad lawyers – there must be repeat offenses. The bad news is that innocent people continue to be harmed by the behavior of bad attorneys, at least until the police complete their investigations and the court finishes its process. That is how the system is designed.
“A Bankruptcy Christmas”
For a very insightful expose’ on how bad this process has become – watch Stephen Berken‘s YouTube presentation “A Bankruptcy Christmas“. He is not afraid to call a turd a turd.
MUSINGS FROM DIANE:
About the Author: Diane Drain
Diane is a well respected Arizona bankruptcy and foreclosure attorney. As a retired law professor, she believes in offering everyone, not just her clients, advice about bankruptcy and Arizona foreclosure laws. Diane is also a mentor to hundreds of Arizona attorneys.
*Important Note from Diane: Everything on this web site is offered for educational purposes only and not intended to provide legal advice, nor create an attorney client relationship between you, me, or the author of any article. Information in this web site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from an attorney familiar with your personal circumstances and licensed to practice law in your state. Make sure to check out their reviews.*
“You folks are the BEST OF THE BEST in Arizona.” M.H.
You and Jay are the best attorneys I have ever had or needed and thank God for the Honorable Robert Gottsfield in recommending you folks – I would have never made it through the entire process without you and Jay and God Bless you both always and stay in touch as well. You folks are the BEST OF THE BEST in Arizona.
“My only regret is that I didn’t find Diane sooner.” K.H.
I can’t say enough good things about Diane. The way she handled my not typical circumstances was amazing. I was very nervous to start the bankruptcy process but Diane just has a very comforting way of explaining the whole process. My only regret is that I didn’t find Diane sooner. If you find yourself in a financial situation that you can’t correct on your own, please Call Diane Drain as soon as possible.
“Filing for bankruptcy can be a stressful life event” R.A.
Filing for bankruptcy can be a stressful life event, and selecting the right attorney can add to this stress. Diane and Jay were a pleasure to work with, and it is obvious that they are passionate about helping people get their life back on track. I would highly recommend them if you need a bankruptcy attorney.
Published On: May 24, 2023
“Best Experience Ever!” C.G. Answered all my questions and very knowledgeable team! Thank you C.G.
Published On: May 23, 2023
“Give her a call if you don't know where to turn.... ” B.G. Diane was an exceptionally nice lady and very courteous to my wife and I as we requested help. She [...]
Published On: March 20, 2023
“You were very nice and caring. ” R.G. I cannot thank you enough Diane for taking the time to speak with me. Your website has so much information and very helpful. You [...]
Published On: January 24, 2023
“ROCKSTARS Diane and Jay!!! I am so happy ” P.C. ROCKSTARS Diane and Jay!!! I am so happy to work with you again. Within a few months, you got me the BEST [...]
My intention is to put you back in control of your life
Start with $0 down*. We provide affordable payment plans.